Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Crossover

I'm back at work, and the inbox is overflowing. It's not my normal box. Somebody's replaced it while I wasn't looking with something bigger, but I'm sure I can get through this pile if I just focus. I can hear Tennille's voice saying, "This is what you get for leaving all your vacations to the last minute."

And I guess it is. She's not trying to be mean, but Tennille's no sugar-coater.

And there's a new guy. I think I should know him. Curly hair, glasses, wrinkly shirt, scruffy face. So familiar, yet so out of place. I am hyper-aware that he's there.

I don't have time to think about it though, because there's so much work to do, and there's a meeting in a few minutes and I have to make the rounds and say hi to everyone and give out hugs and let everybody know that I didn't really go anywhere for my vacation because I was at school the entire time, and there were so many events and meetings and ceremonies there, and I'm really happy to be back at work so I can relax a little.

There's cake and coffee in the meeting room.

And that guy--the scruffy one, the one I know from somewhere else--he's in the meeting room too. I want to say something to him. I want to find out why he's there instead of in the other place I know him from, but I never get the chance. People are filing in, and the room fills with chatter as everybody finds a seat so we can start the meeting, and my phone starts to sneeze. That's what it does when I have a text, you know. It sneezes a couple of times, and I wake up.

2 comments:

  1. I like this! I can relate to the overwhelming emails, and responsibilities placed on me that I probably shouldn’t accept (i.e. somebody replacing what you know is yours with another workload).
    I have a question for you. Do you remember the feeling you had of the scruffy guy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do. I felt like I was supposed to be talking to him instead of doing my work. But he was being patient and waiting until I was in a good spot to pay attention to him.

    ReplyDelete